Competition, like fire, is a great servant and a terrible master. This section describes the UK competition regime, and discusses what works well, and what doesn't.
- Introduction & Overview
- What Has Competition Ever Done For Us?
- Is Competition Always a Good Thing?
- What About Quality & Service?
- Competition Policy - A Brief History
- The Competition Regime from 2002
- Competition Policy 2014-20
- Competition Policy 2020 - date
- Competition Appeals
- Designing Effective Remedies
- How to Present Complex Economic Theories to Judges
The Five Instruments
Competition authorities have access to five weapons in their fight to maintain competition:-
- Abuse of Dominant Position
- Merger Control
- Market Studies & Investigations
- Utility Regulation
Identifying a competition problem can be only half the battle. Here is some advice about Designing Effective Remedies
And here is a comparison of the EU, US, Indian & UK Competition Regimes
- Private Actions
- Switching & Effective Competition
- Financial Services
- 'Nudging' and Behavioural Economics
- Public Interest Mergers
- Alcohol Pricing
- Politicians and Utility Regulation
- Consumer Representation
- Other Interesting Issues